The original constitution of the Wisconsin Industrial Arts Association was passed at an organizational meeting in 1927. The meeting chairman was O. C. Schenke, he served as the officer of the association until elections were held in the following year when C. W. Byrnes was elected president. Mr. Byrnes served as president for two years. The WIAA was loosely affiliated with the Wisconsin Teacher’s Association.
The WIAA officially changed its name when the articles of incorporation for the Wisconsin Industrial Education Association, Inc. were approved by the State of Wisconsin on Sept. 4, 1970. Herb Anderson (Stout State University) served as the first president of the WIEA.
On October 26, 1983 the membership of the WIEA passed a constitutional amendment changing the organization’s name to the Wisconsin Technology Education Association, Inc.
The WTEA provides professional development for classroom instructors and proactive leadership in advocating the advancement of technology education by promoting relevant curriculum, communicating information, and networking with leaders in education, business, and industry. The membership of the WTEA consists of technology educators and education professionals from all levels of education including: public school, private school and correctional institution educators, college and university professors, technical college instructors, school administrators, and college students preparing to enter the teaching profession.
In 2008 the WTEA Board of Directors began work on creating a separate public charity to fund scholarships and STEM education activities. The State of Wisconsin approved the articles of incorporation for the WTEA Foundation, Inc. on May 6, 2009. Al Gomez, Pete McConnell and Joe Ciontea served as the initial officers of the foundation.